At Combe House Devon, we fully embrace our responsibility as an environmental steward and believe in developing sustainable practices as a leader in the industry. The hotel is thoroughly committed to reducing its environmental impact by actively participating in standards that are in harmony with the earth’s natural resources and direction through our green initiatives.
We recognise that our work may have a direct or indirect effect on the local, regional and global environment. We are committed to reducing any harmful effects on the environment and in working with reputable associations, we aim to understand, follow and implement best environmental practice where possible.
We encourage our employees, suppliers and guests to be environmentally aware through initiatives such as recycling and energy efficiency.
Our goal is to prevent landfill waste and improve recycling, by reviewing how supplies and equipment are purchased, packaged, delivered, used, and disposed of, whilst complying with all applicable environmental legislation.
Combe House Devon has a ‘Green Team’ which is responsible for moving forward with the ongoing action plan for the hotel.
Combe House Environmental Policy
• To provide a service which meets the needs of our guests
• while striving to minimise the environmental impact of the hotel.
• To be considerate and fair employers to our loyal and hard working staff.
• To consider the wider impact of our operations on a local, national and global scale.
• To be equal opportunity employers.
What is the Green Tourism Business Scheme?
The Green Tourism Business Scheme (GTBS) is the largest and most successful Sustainable Tourism accreditation in the UK. By choosing to visit a GTBS business you are making a valuable contribution towards improving the local environment. You can also be assured of a high quality holiday experience.
What does this mean for you?
We are passionate about caring for the environment and ensuring that you have an enjoyable stay and experience. We'd like you to be aware that by choosing our business you are minimising your carbon footprint whilst on holiday and helping to conserve the natural and special environment here in East Devon.
Somewhere Different, Somewhere Special
2013 saw the 45th anniversary of Combe House as one of the UK’s first country house hotels and the 15th anniversary of our arrival at Combe House – a Grade 1 Elizabethan Manor set in 3,500 acres of Devon country estate.
For the past 15 years we have been committed to...'restore, revamp, re-introduce, repair, re-use, reduce & recycle', i.e. "Sustainability". Though when we arrived at Combe this was a word that was rarely reconised.
As an independent, privately run Grade 1 Elizabethan Country House Hotel & Restaurant in a spectacular natural environment that is so quintessentially English, we try our best to protect, enhance and cherish it to enable us to give to all who share it now and in the future.
However, we realise that sustainability is all about continuity - ideas and initiatives must never stop flowing.
The highlights of our recent ‘green’ initiatives include:
• Considerate Hoteliers Award 2011 - Best Green Marketing Initiative.
• Condé Nast Johansens National Award 2010 - Most Excellent Innovation in Sustainable Hospitality.
• Silver Award from the Green Tourism Business Scheme.
• Restoration of Victorian Kitchen Gardens to supply over 60% of produce required by Combe's Chefs.
• Creation of a Thatched Bath House alongside the Garden Folly in the woodland gardens.
• Refurbishment of all Master Bedrooms & Superior Rooms, Dining Rooms, Linen Suite Sitting Room & Great Hall.
• The upgraded fire regulation requirements on a Grade 1 Listed Building.
• Combe Cider-Making - re-introducing Tom Putt's Cider circa 1757, one of the staple industries of Devon
• in those times using apples from Combe's ancient orchards.